Creating an environment for a safe and enjoyable run for all the Not So Normal Runners is our highest priority. With 700+ amazing runners on the streets of Carrboro communicating what will be happening along the race route is an essential part in the creation of that safe environment for all. One that strives to be as minimally inconvenient as possible to everyone in town on race day: runners, spectators, bicyclists, car drivers, etc. We encourage everyone not running the race to come out and cheer on the runners and show them how amazing the people of Carrboro are!
Race Date: Sunday, March 31, 2019
Time: The races start at 7:30 am and end at 11:00 am. A 3 hour 30 minute time limit for all races
Location: The Start/Finish line is on Laurel Ave next to Town Commons (301 W. Main St)
Race Route Information
- You can view the race route here for the 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 marathons and relays. The start of the race will utilize the entire outbound lane on West Main St with runners funneled into a coned lane by Pine Hill Dr which they will remain in for the remainder of the race.
- Quarter marathon runs the loop once, DO NOT RUN THE CHEEK-GREENSBORO-PINE ADD-ON.
- Half and Three Quarter run the loop 2 or 3 times depending on your race. RUN THE CHEEK-GREENSBORO-PINE ADD ON ON 2ND AND 3RD LOOPS ONLY!
- Relay point for 1/4 and 3/4 marathon relays is the first entrance to McDougle Middle School on Old Fayetteville, there is a sign with the exact spot. FIRST RUNNER FOR QUARTER RELAY RUNS HALF THE LOOP AND EXCHANGES TO THEIR PARTNER ON THE FIRST LOOP. FIRST RUNNER FOR THREE QURTER RUNS 1.5 LOOPS AND EXCHANGES TO THEIR PARTNER ON THE 2ND LOOP.
- We ask that all motorists driving along the race route reduce their speed to 25 mph or less and be on the lookout for runners. Also, if you can alter your route race morning to avoid the roads the runners are on we would greatly appreciate it
- It is crucial that all runners stay within the coned lanes for their safety and the safety of others
- If you hear sirens during the race please stop and step onto the curb so emergency vehicles can get to their destination as quickly as possible
- There will be signs at every turn telling you where to go along with a volunteer and/or Carrboro Public Works Staff. We have also marked the streets as well with paint. Getting off course is not an option so please pay attention so you can crush the race!!!
- Here is a link to print the race route
Runner Aid Stations
It is going to be warm race morning, please fuel early and often! You should start increasing your fluid intake, water is best, 72 hours before race day and be sure and eat well in the days leading up to the race. Remember, tried and true nothing new! Stick to your fueling plan – water and/or electrolyte drink, gels, etc – and you should be fine.
- Lisa Street (miles 2, 8, & 14) – We will offer water and GU’s electrolyte drink on the first loop. On the second and third loops we will also offer a GU Energy Gel (salted caramel)
- Martin Luther King, Jr Park (miles 4, 10, & 16) – We will offer water and GU’s electrolyte drink on the first loop. On the second and third loops we will also offer a GU Energy Gel (strawberry banana)
- Cheek St and Hillsborough Rd (miles 6, 12, & 18) – We will offer water and GU’s electrolyte drink on the first loop. On the second and third loops we will also offer a GU Energy Gel (strawberry banana)
Medical Support – Please read this Important Document From UNC Ortho
We are honored to have Dr. Lauren Porras serve as the NSN’s Medical Director. She will be joined by her amazing team from UNC Orthopedics along with the support of South Orange Rescue Squad and The Carrboro Fire Department. There will be a full medical team located at Town Commons along with 2 roving teams along the race route and medical staff at each runner aid station. If a runner is in distress and a member of the Medical Team is not on the scene please call 911.
If you have any questions or concerns please email Jay, the Race Director